In vitro starch digestibility of snack bar formulated with green banana

Ho, Dr. Lee Hoon (2018) In vitro starch digestibility of snack bar formulated with green banana. In: Flour: Production, Varieties and Nutrition. Nova Science Publishers, Inc., USA, pp. 47-68. ISBN 978-1-53613-761-3

[img] Text
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (427kB)
[img] Text
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (257kB)


Novel low glycaemic index (GI) snack bars were prepared using green banana (Musa acuminata × balbisiana ABB cv. Awak) flour (GBF). Oat was partially substituted with GBF at 5, 10, 15, and 20% (w/w) to prepare SGBF5, SGBF10, SGBF15, and SGBF20, respectively. Snack bar without GBF served as control. Prepared snack bars were evaluated for dietary fibre content (i.e., soluble dietary fibre, insoluble dietary fibre, and total dietary fibre), starch content (i.e., total starch, resistant starch, and digestible starch), estimated glycaemic index (eGI), and sensory attributes. Prepared snack bars containing GBF had significantly higher (P < 0.05) level of insoluble dietary fibre (4.31–10.07%), soluble dietary fibre (4.35–4.58%), total dietary fibre (8.66–14.65%), total starch (74.98– 76.12%), and resistant starch (6.22–7.49%) than that of control (1.12, 4.23, 5.35, 73.88, and 4.72%, respectively). A slow starch hydrolysis rate was recorded with a subsequent reduction of hydrolysis index (13.52–11.22%) and eGI (47.6–46.38) in snack bars containing GBF. Sensory evaluation indicated that snack bar containing 15% (w/w) of GBF (i.e., SGBF15) had the highest overall acceptability (score > 6). As this is a novel snack bar developed with low eGI value, it is expected to benefit consumers, especially those following weight management programme, as well as for diabetic patients.

Item Type: Book Section
Subjects: Q Science > Q Science (General)
Divisions: Faculty of Bio-resources & Food Industry
Depositing User: Fatin Amirah Ramlan
Date Deposited: 10 Jan 2022 04:14
Last Modified: 14 Apr 2022 07:20

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item